Preposition

PREPOSITION

Sentences

1.           aboard (on)– He is aboard the bus.

2.           about – He is about to jump.

3.           above – The fan is above my head.

4.           across – The rat ran across the room.

5.           after – I will talk after dinner.

6.           against – Don’t talk against him.

7.           ahead of – Walk ahead of me.

8.           along – Come along the beach.

9.           amid/amidst – I found it amid the bushes.

10.        among/amongst – There is a thief among us.

11.        around – Sit around the tree.

12.        as – He works as a cobbler.

13.        as far as (a distance of)- He walked as far as the end of the main road.

14.        as of (on/at/from) –

15.        aside from – Keep it aside from the rest.

16.        at – He passed away at midnight.

17.        barring (except for/unless there is)- Barring strike, it is a working day.

18.        because of (due to, on account of, owing to) –I went to hospital because of pain.

19.        before (earlier than in time, in front of) – I will reach before 2 O’clock.

20.        behind (at the back of) – I kept those behind the cupboard.

21.        below (in a position lower than) – I got below 50 marks.

22.        beneath (at a lower position/level than) – I felt the ground beneath my feet, was moving.

23.        beside (next to, at the side of) – she sat beside me.

24.        besides (in addition to) – Besides Mathematics I like science.

25.        between (among) – they argued between themselves.

26.        beyond (not within the scope of) – The picture was beyond my imagination.

27.        but (except)- Everyone played but him as he had sprained his ankles.

28.        by (close to, at some time before, along) – Come by the narrow lane.

29.        by means of – I came by means of a bullock cart.

30.        circa (approximately, around) – My house was built circa 1982.

31.        concerning (in connection, about) – I was talking concerning your behaviour.

32.        despite (regardless of) – He did it once again despite my warning.

33.        down - He was passing down the paper.

34.        during (at some time in the duration of) – I will meet you during summer holidays.

35.        except (not including) – I like everything except egg.

36.        except for (not including) – Everything was perfect except for the weather.

37.        far from – She was standing far from me.

38.        following (as a result of, coming at a later time) – He was taken to office following a fight.

39.        for – This is for you.

40.        from – This was from my friend.

41.        in – It is in the box.

42.        in case of – Take the first aid box along with you in case of emergency.

43.        in front of – He was sitting in front of me.

44.        in place of – Keep this in place of that.

45.        in spite of – I gave him in spite of his laziness.

46.        including – I got three days’ holiday including Sunday.

47.        inside – It is inside the box.

48.        instead of – Do the work instead of grumbling.

49.        into – He fell into the drain.

50.        like – He works like a robot.

51.        minus – Five minus two is three.

52.       near – Her house is near my house.

53.        next to – She sits next to me.

54.        of – This is of a great use.

55.        off – Turn off the tap.

56.        on – It is on the table

57.        on behalf of - She spoke on behalf of her mother.

58.        on top of – She kept the curd on top of the fridge.

59.        onto - Get onto the bus.

60.        opposite – She sat opposite me during lunch.

61.        out – Go out and get the fresh air.

62.        out of – I made a doll out of hay.

63.        outside – She stood outside the classroom the whole day.

64.        over – She jumped high over the hurdles.

65.        past – It was past evening when we got home.

66.        per – I gave bags at Rs 20 per person.

67.        plus – I gave two pencils plus one rubber free of cost.

68.        prior to (before something) – She spoke harshly prior to the accident she met.

69.        regarding – She has said nothing regarding your behaviour.

70.        regardless of – I spoke boldly regardless of the consequences.

71.        since – She has been off work since Tuesday.

72.        than – She teaches well more than you do.

73.        through – She came in through a window.

74.        throughout – She was disturbing me throughout the day.

75.        till – Can’t you wait till we get home?

76.        to – I walked to the office.

77.        toward/s – The ball came rolling towards me.

78.        under – The rubber is under the bench.

79.        underneath – I have worn a vest underneath my shirt.

80.        unlike (different from) -  She is pious unlike her sisters.

81.        until – Wait until I come.

82.        unto – He threw a ball unto him.

83.        up – She climbed up the steps

84.        upon – The decision was based upon two judgement.

85.        versus - There was a girls’ versus boys’ competition this morning.

86.        via – I came to school via Thondamuthoor.

87.        with – I live with my grandparents.

88.        with regard to – I gave cash amount of Rs 500 with regard to his honesty.

89.        within - She completed her CE project within 4 days.

90.        without – She came to attend CE class without a notebook and a pen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the female devils

Virgin girls and boys

Sexual complaints